Monday, August 07, 2006

Tending the Fire, being a grrl with The Bear

It was a truly magical night, here at the McFly Farm (heh, okay, so it's not a farm and our last name isn't McFly). We started out with the whole fam damily, roasting marshmallows and making smores around our 'new' little potbellied outdoor stove, and then I splashed some white sage on the still-glowing coals, which actually re-lit the entire fire! Hubby was a little perplexed because there really wasn't much left on the grate to re-ignite, but it did!

Then The Bear and I prepared for our night out under the stars. The forecast was calling for a 60% chance of rain and/or thundershowers, so the first thing we did is pray for NO RAIN.

We got it. It was clear all night and the crickets, the little toads and the nightingales sang us to sleep after a reading of an adaptation of Anne of Green Gables and a look through The Bear's Fairyopolis book. I remember the last thing I thought: Blessèd Mother, thank you for my little girl.

Our awakening was less than serene however. Without going into details, we had to vacate the tent pretty quickly this morning, and the magic seemed to vanish with the dawn. Hubby was waiting in the kitchen to 'welcome us home'. He'd been awake since 5:45 and we stumbled into the house around 6:30.

Aw well. My last day off of this long weekend and I'm waiting for the wash to stop so I can put it all out on the line. The kids are going to Canada's Wonderland with their grandparents (Hubby's Mom and Dad) tomorrow for three days, so getting things ready for them this week is going to be my goal today. Have a good Civic Holiday, fellow Canucks!

2 Comments:

At 9:17 a.m. , Blogger Kris said...

I really admire that you and your daughter had a campout under the stars. Sounds truly magical.

Alas, my hubby and I have often talked of moving to A-town *winks* and if so, would love to meet up. I'm happy to have stumbled upon your blog and really enjoy your posts.

 
At 7:05 a.m. , Blogger Raevyn said...

Would LOVE that... tell ya what, I'll make a deal with you. I WORK in O-town (south end, near Costco)... maybe someday we can meet for coffee or something!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home